The world of auto insurance is complicated and premiums payable for a given policy vary from person to person. Simply put who you are determines how much you will pay as car insurance premium. Automobile insurers use a large number of risk factors to compute how much premium is payable by any individual.
Basic factors that determine how much you need to pay for auto insurance are:
1. The age of the driver. Young and old drivers need to pay more insurance premiums as they are more likely to have accidents than middle aged drivers. In addition premium payable is determined by the car you drive. If you drive a sports car or any mean machine then your premium will hit the sky as compared to a sedan or compact car.
2. The gender of the driver. Insurance companies have determined that women drivers are not affected by hormone surges or machoness and are so better drivers than men. Statistically women are proven to be safer drivers so a woman driver will pay lower auto insurance than a male.
3. Where you live can change your car insurance rate. Auto insurance companies compute risk by where a car owner resides. Those living in rural areas or suburbs pay lower insurance premiums than those who live in a city.
4. Safe Driving is a factor that influences your premiums. Most insurers lower premiums payable for persons who have a safe driving record for three years and more. So speeding tickets, accidents, parking violations, and running red lights are all factors that can save you money.
5. Your credit history. Most insurance companies consider an individual with a good credit history and score as a lower risk and offer lower premiums on auto insurance. The credit report reflects the fact that you are a responsible individual and are dependable.
Other factors that can lower auto insurance premiums are: safety features in a car; anti-theft devices; eco-friendly fuel use; use of car pools and public transport; exclusive use of vehicle only for personal use and so on.
Insurance companies set premium rates based on factors like make of car, cost of parts, and sticker price of car. In case an individual updates his driving skills regularly and follows all safety norms and rules laid by the highway and road patrols then the insurers offer lowered premium rates.
If you have a membership at the AAA or any other professional body then you may be automatically eligible for a discount on auto insurance rates. Lately if auto insurance is bought online the rates are much lower than when bought through an agent or office. And, different insurers base the premiums on auto insurance based on their experience so while one may consider the occupation of the individual a risk another may give more emphasis on whether the vehicle is used for commercial purposes. The module for calculating risk factors varies from company to company as also the premium rates on auto insurance.
So it is best to get at least 3-4 quotes from different auto insurance providers before making a decision.